[MUD-Dev] People were talking about resets..

Anderson Anderson
Fri May 10 14:29:31 CEST 2002

From: Anderson, David

> I was thinking of how to do resets awhile ago and basically came
> up with the idea to not have resets work like standard muds..  etc
> etc etc

Sorry folks, had a massive backlog of 400 muddev e-mails and hadn't
realized this was discussed another 200 e-mails later.

I do have a couple points to make though.

Combinations of tactics for resets is probably the best way to go.

  1. Have a rabbit hole make a rabbit once in awhile.. nothing
  enough to actually be a farm, but enough to keep the population in
  existance.

  2. Have rabbits breed.

  3. Have rabbits require resources, and consume those resources
  which replenish slowly.. if the rabbit runs low on food, it will
  eventually die.  That limits the amount of rabbits in each area.

  ie:,

    In each room you have: int food = 100;

    When a rabbit needs to eat, you make sure there's food in the
    room and then

      do rabbit->roomin->food--;

    If there's no food, rabbit's health goes down a little, and he
    wanders..  eventually he'll die if there's no food around.

  4. Have preditors around who feed on rabbits to make the area seem
  more alive.

  5. Make sure there are plenty of other things for players to do
  other than kill rabbits, so that they don't camp out in front of a
  rabbit hole.

Dave