[MUD-Dev] Games are Hot. Period

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu May 9 09:12:03 CEST 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Michael Tresca wrote:

> This is from an email spam I got from WebProNews.  Note the claim
> that games are now making more money than movies:

>   The Games segment has maintained its 25 percent yearly growth
>   and games now make more money than movies. There are forty-five
>   million people playing games online this year, and Jupiter
>   projects this number to reach seventy-three million in just two
>   years. Gaming sites are the most popular entertainment websites,
>   and player sessions on gaming portals are four times greater
>   than general site averages.

This is a misleading that's been debunked here a couple times, I
believe. Games do not make more than movies overall. Gross sales of
games might make more than gross box office receipts, but that
doesn't take into account licensing or DVD/Video rentals. I also
recall seeing one of those figures where they had included console
hardware in the games side, but not DVD players or VCRs in the movie
side.

--matt