[MUD-Dev] Extensibility

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Tue May 7 09:18:49 CEST 2002

From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchamb at bellsouth.net>

> Is it possible to use the ability of Java to dynamically load
> classes to make it easier to add new features to your MUD without
> recompiling?

Definately.  A long time ago I had considered writing a chat server
that would auto-load classes that were emailed to a specific email
account.  The classes would be loaded as additional chat commands.
It wouldn't be too hard to do something similar with a MUD.  The
greatest problem would be security.

> I was thinking that instead of having code snippet archives it
> would be cool if there was some source of expandable Java classes.
> You know, if you want this new feature, simply download this
> .class file and load it into the server using the graphical front
> end.  Then simply reboot the server (this might not be necessary)
> and without recompiling or anything you have updated your server.

No need for a recompile or even a restart if you design it
correctly.  This is the reason for interfaces.  This is one of the
few features I wish C++ had, though you can get fairly close with
DLLs.