[MUD-Dev] How much is enough? Communication design

shren shren at io.com
Mon May 6 06:38:14 CEST 2002

On Fri, 3 May 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> The quicksave/reload cycle in PC games is an evolutionary dead
> end. It just facilitates sloppy balancing and fortunately doesn't
> seem to be a mechanism MMOG's can ape. When I play them, I find
> myself saving before I enter every room, entering and then
> reloading once I've seen which 6 directions I'm going to be shot
> from (not mentioning any names 'Max Payne', 'Jedi Knight2' & etc.)
> If this is necessary, the game is too damned hard and 'Halo'
> proves it isn't necessary.

Yes, yes, yes.  I have a lot of friends who play any game on the
hardest or second hardest mode, all the time, and sit there and
quick-load and quick-save constantly.  The same people look down
upon my easy and normal mode victories where I generally only save
the game when I want to stop playing.

--
http://www.shren.net

 xxx