[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Mike Shaver shaver at mozilla.org
Sat May 4 11:52:16 CEST 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 03:05:58PM -0500, Damion Schubert wrote:

> Yes, the community is one reason why players join the game, but
> many players do not think that it weakens the community for them
> to short-circuit the gameplay experience.

In many cases, I expect that players in fact use the community in
order to short-circuit the gameplay experience.  Beyond simple
twinking and power-levelling, we have a number of games that give
experience bonuses for group activity, so there are already some
"designer-sanctioned" fast paths through the lower levels.  Wolfpack
has gone on records as saying that powerlevelling -- as a way for
people who want to play the "post-max game" together to catch the
lower-level people up -- will be explicitly supported in Shadowbane.

Why shouldn't we let the players choose the part of the game
experience on which they want to spend their precious time?  Why do
they have to "earn the right" to fight certain monsters or wear
certain armour?

(I ask not purely in a rhetorical sense: are there certain game
experiences that are better provided or enjoyed through that sort of
intentionally-dampened progression?)

Mike