[MUD-Dev] Re: Random Resets

John Robert Arras johna at wam.umd.edu
Sat May 4 09:57:27 CEST 2002

On Fri, 3 May 2002, "Kwon Ekstrom" <justice at softhome.net> wrote:
>> From: "John Robert Arras" <johna at wam.umd.edu>

> You can do this by specifying, I want x amount of y npc to be
> loaded from vnum a to vnum b with z templates.  It'll then apply
> your templates to the NPC's as it loads them into the game.  You
> can either make new templates in your area, or call templates from
> another zone.  I have an area which stores alot of generic often
> used objects and has alot of basic "atmosphere" templates.  Guards
> have this set of eq type deal.

This is exactly how I use this code. Have lots of generic equipment
and lots of generic creatures, and just use them to fill in the
background.  I also intend to use this as anti-camping code by
making N super-powerful mobs, each of which can load one of M
powerful items at a small percent, and have only a few of the mobs
in the world at a time. :)

I may have to extend this to let resets occur in a block of rooms,
or within K rooms of a central room specified in the reset.

>> Let's pretend that I'm really lazy and that I hate building. I
>> want to make lots of forests on my MUD and I don't want them to
>> be barren, but I also don't want to have to make 100 kinds of
>> squirrels and wolves for each area and then reset them to
>> specific locations.

> My template system was designed to be like that, but it takes a
> little more work.  You just apply templates to the area thru the
> use of the provided editors (I'm currently working on a GUI
> builder interface that communicates with the server via XML)

It's designed to be simple and easy to use, and it's just to take
care of the background that's expected, but boring to make. I still
make "real" encounters in areas, but even randomizing those can be
nice. The more complex situations are created using societies which
I've written about here a little. They still need a lot of work, but
I am making slow progress on those, too.

John