[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri May 3 17:18:32 CEST 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Amanda Walker wrote:
> On 4/29/02 10:13 PM, Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:

>> So is it the time or the money? If it's a combination, which is
>> at fault, and why? A lot of gamers have high incomes and resent
>> the application of time to advancement.

> Something I've been thinking about since the Blacksnow discussion
> is "well, what about we turn this around completely?  Instead of
> trying to isolate game context from 'real world' context, how
> about we integrate them as much as possible?"

> Instead of buying a subscription to a game service, you buy shares
> in the game.  You can buy more shares, which gives you more
> in-game resources.  You can buy and sell shares (reporting them as
> capital gains and losses on your tax return), and so on.  You can
> buy a few shares, and try to multiply their value with effort, or
> you can simply speculate without actually "playing" the game.

Well, in the US at least, this would be a bit of a
nightmare. Selling shares in a company requires spinning off your
game into a separate company, registering with the SEC, and then
abiding by the -numerous- rules regarding stock transactions. I'm
also not sure how owning stock in the company that made the game
would have much effect on the gameplay itself. I mean, you can
already go buy shares of Sony, or EA, though granted, that's buying
a whole bundle of things, not just a single game.

--matt