[MUD-Dev] Player Accounts on a Non-Commercial MUD

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Wed May 1 15:26:11 CEST 2002

>From John Buehler

> My opinion is that if players had something else interesting to
> do, they wouldn't reverse engineer the systems so much.  Some
> certainly would, but reverse engineering is a mainstream
> occupation for players these days.  That's one way to get them to
> *want* to do things other than reverse engineer your systems.

Interesting assertion.  My experience has been quite the opposite:
when you give players something interesting to do, the first thing
they'll do is reverse engineer it so they can figure out how to most
effectively and efficiently disassemble that system.  Call it
cheating and rolebreaking, or call it strategy and tactics, but it
is a fundamental part of MUDplayer nature.

--d