[MUD-Dev] [MLP] The use of ecology models (was: NPC Complexit y)

Freeman Freeman
Wed May 1 09:09:27 CEST 2002

From: Mark Eaton
> On Friday, April 26, 2002, at 06:42 PM, Koster, Raph wrote:

>> We are doing this in Star Wars Galaxies. There was recently a
>> post on our boards about how it works, written by listmember Jeff
>> Freeman:

> It sounds like a very interesting system, but it seems the linch
> pin is determining when a player 'could use a little excitement'.

> It makes me wonder what value players will place on exploration
> and the size of the world, when they can just walk a few minutes
> out from the city gate and stand around waiting for the system to
> decide to entertain them :)

The same problem (or lack thereof) exists with static spawns in
fixed locations: Why explore much beyond the city gate when there's
a fixed spawnpoint Right There?  The only things you're going to
"discover" by "exploring" are more static spawns in other fixed
locations.

Ah, but with static spawns in fixed locations, different things
spawn in different locations.

And so, too, *LOCATION* is the oft-overlooked component of the
system.