[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Adam ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 30 18:54:25 CET 2002

Derek Licciardi <kressilac at insightBB.com> wrote:

> GASP! WOW!

> Norman, please do yourself a favor and look at how much these
> services cost to bring them to the masses we are trying to
> "stunt".  Think about how your view on this topic might change if
> you were the one forking over the 5 - 15,000,000 $US it takes to
> get these off the ground.  Think about how you would feel if
> everyone took your Star Wars idea and used it to make profit
> without your consent.  What if in doing so they trashed your
> franchise in the eyes of consumers?  If Blacksnow is allowed to
> succeed, there isn't an investor on the planet that will fund an
> MMORPG in the foreseeable future.  A genre of gaming will die for
> many years and suffer a HUGE setback.  I would reconsider your
> position if I were you because you could find yourself with no
> game to play if we truly are full of ourselves.

I'm confused; by saying "[no] investor on the planet ... will fund
an MMORPG in the forseeable future" you seem to imply that you think
BSI is preventing Mythic from making the expected level of profit? I
would be very surprised to hear that Mythic are currently suffering
crippling loss of income due to the actions of BSI, significant
enough to prevent other people from investing in future MMORPG
development.

> Blacksnow wins, MMORPGS die as a genre for a pretty long while.
> The problem here is that the law hasn't told us developers what is
> right and wrong and that is scary as hell.

Norman's post was clearly strongly opinionated, but I don't think he
went as far as to make a statement like the one above - do you
REALLY mean to say that if BSI wins this court case, then you
believe there will be no more MMORPGs developed for the next few
years (or have I misunderstood)? I'm sure Verant/Turbine/NCSoft
would be absolutely stunningly delighted to hear that their
competition were all going to walk away from millions of dollars of
profit...

Adam M