[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Sat Mar 30 01:57:26 CET 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 amanda at alfar.com wrote:
> "Caliban Tiresias Darklock" <caliban at darklock.com> wrote:

>> Mythic can't say that. It's beyond their rights as a vendor of
>> goods and services. You can't sell me a product on the condition
>> that I don't do certain things with it after I own it,

> Of course I can.  Record companies sell you CDs on the condition
> that you don't copy them, rebroadcast them without paying a
> royalty, etc.  For that matter, even non-intellectual property
> (such as real estate) can come with restrictions, covenants, etc.
> I am, for example, not allowed to build a radio tower in my back
> yard or put a neon sign in my front yard without approvals and
> permits.

Recording companies do not sell CDs on that.  The condition is a
matter of external laws concerning intellectual property.  Now,
recording companies (and some artists) may have had a say in writing
the current version of that legal body, but the purchase of a CD is
the purchase of a *physical object*, and only a licensing of the
materials on the CD.

And as for radio towers and neon signs, again, that's not (normally)
a covenant or contract question, it's a matter of zoning and
public-nuisance laws, separate from your purchase of land or
housing.

> Mythic sells you a ticket to their amusement park.  One of the
> conditions of that sale is that you abide by the posted
> regulations of that park, and that they may remove you from the
> park at any time if they do not like your behavior.  This is
> completely legal.

And thereby hangs the tale.  By the license in the box, Mythic may
remove you from the game at any time for any reason.  BSI's other
questions of law are probably irrelevant to that point.

--
Siege