[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

amanda at alfar.com amanda at alfar.com
Fri Mar 29 13:36:53 CET 2002

ghovs <ghovs at plex.nl> wrote:

> I highly doubt if a game is allowed to decide to ban you because
> of what you do outside it. How would you feel if your favorite bar
> would deny you entry because you have done something they don't
> like outside it, while you do not, inside the bar, act differently
> from any other patron?

I'd probably be mad.  However, there is also nothing I can do about
it.  The bar is not a public place, and the proprietor can decide
not to allow me to enter for any reason, whether or not I agree that
said reason is valid.

Remember: DAOC is not open to the public.  It is a dues-paying
members-only club.

> The sword is on the server, and remains on the server. Handing
> items to other players is not against the EULA. Why does it matter
> (legally) that real-world money was given to encourage some
> transactions?

Because that *is* against the EULA.  The EULA is a contract between
you and Mythic, which governs behavior that would otherwise be
unregulated.  It *does* mean you do not have the freedom to do
certain things that you would be free to do without it--that's what
a contract is.

> Is there perhaps a legal precedent on this?

The entire field of contract law springs to mind.

> Where does it say that BSI isn't paying for its account while
> acquiring stuff for sale? What's wrong with team play? Don't you
> need something against the EULA happening inside the game in order
> to be able to forbid it?

The EULA is not an in-game document.  It is a contract between you
as a player and Mythic as a company.  It is not a set of "game
rules".

Amanda Walker