[Meta] Re: [MUD-Dev] EQ RPG

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Wed Mar 27 13:12:11 CET 2002

According to Dave Rickey:

> To be fair, Midgard did have a very real RvR advantage (a
> chain-wearing Crowd-Control class) that was very powerful in the
> early days of the game.  Nonetheless, Midgard did seem to have a
> disproportionate number of the experienced UO, AC, and EQ PvP
> guilds in the beginning.

Because they looked at some classes, and figured out "hey, this guy
has SOW (Spirit of the Wolf - run speed enhancer), Clarity (mana
regeneration enhancer), Mesmerize (neutralize ennemies) and Heals,
it's all the main EQ classes in one".

The Healer class looks very attractive, but that works only on small
encounters; typically a group vs another group.

Something the battlegrounds taught people is the difference between
warriors and soldiers, and the fact that mid-large scale warfare in
which you've got twenty-plus people on both sides, advantages change
a lot.

> Organization really is the key, and DAoC's organization on a realm
> level is just starting to come together.  A few months ago, a
> single organized guild (30-90 players) could dominate the RvR
> balance of a server, now we're seeing larger scales (3-6 guild
> alliances).  When organized force meets rabble, the results are
> never pretty.  Albion

The Battleground themselves are, for all their quake-ish flavor, a
very good teacher for strategy, tactics, and organisation.

The difference is pretty overwhelming. I've been playing on
different battlegrounds, having characters on all three realms, and
the chief factor is organisation, and leadership. On my first
outing, as a healer, we faced a held keep and about a dozen albion
players. 30 midgards couldn't budge them, due to the fact that we
were running like headless chicken. Then, there was the keep where
hibernians were defenders. With a designated leader (a druid who was
staying put), and a global chat channel for all the battleground
hibernian players. Night and day.

I was pretty much against the battleground idea at first. Too
quake-ish, constricted areas. But I found out it teaches a lot to
people. And it shows, the difference in behaviour (a week after BG
introduction) between the level 20-24 battleground and the 30-35 one
is amazing.

> does have a general numbers advantage (the split is roughly
> 30-30-40 in their favor), but it's actually Hibernia (the smallest
> by a couple of percentage points) that is controlling the most
> relics.

Not on my servers :)

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)