[MUD-Dev] Money matters

eric rhea eric at enkanica.com
Wed Mar 27 08:49:50 CET 2002

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, [iso-8859-1] "Jean, Yannick (=EElot)" wrote:

> Even if it's not quite on-topic to this list... I am toying with
> the idea of starting my own MUDlike game and I rapidly came with
> some unavoidable financial questions...

> How many registered users does the most popular pay-to-play MUD have ?

>   A few hundreds ?
>   A thousands ?
>   More ? Less ?

> If anyone have an answer to this one, I would be most grateful.

Shouldn't the question be: at best, how many paying players do I
need paying (but not necessarily playing ...) to stay afloat at a
payplay charge of x dollars?

Why not hop over to mudconnector [1]? They tend to give you a rough
idea as to how many players are on a given mud, the general layout
of the mud, and if you dig a bit more even how much they charge (and
how).

As for the most 'popular' pTp mud out there, what is it? For I might
also point out that "MUDlike game" is a bit vast (i.e., oceanic).

If you want to take any generic pTp mudlike game that is the most
popular, I might have to argue EQ is thought to be doing pretty well
-- even with their recent price hike -- and have around 400,000
actively subscribing players.

-Eric

[1] http://www.mudconnect.com/