[Meta] Re: [MUD-Dev] EQ RPG

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Tue Mar 26 09:33:17 CET 2002

From: Brian 'Psychochild' Green <brian at psychochild.org>

Looks like Im going to have to subscribe to Meta.  Joy, 180 emails a
day isn't enough....

<EdNote: Meta is pretty low traffic.  It averages just under one
message per day>

> szii at sziisoft.com wrote:

>> No...because the people who play good are of "that mentality"
>> while the more experienced players choose to keep their options
>> open and focus on the mechanics of the game instead of ideals.
>> Ideals do not win battles, no matter how organised the army.

> In the beginning, Midgard leapt out as the early favorite in RvR.
> The explanation I heard was that most of the power players that
> like evil and shun all things elven went for Midgard.  I mean, how
> can you go wrong with a group that includes Trolls and Kobolds and
> likes to rape and plunder?

To be fair, Midgard did have a very real RvR advantage (a
chain-wearing Crowd-Control class) that was very powerful in the
early days of the game.  Nonetheless, Midgard did seem to have a
disproportionate number of the experienced UO, AC, and EQ PvP guilds
in the beginning.

> Midgard was pretty potent in the beginning.  Most of these power
> players reached higher levels quickly and went into the RvR areas
> and cleaned up.  They were driving their enemies before them if
> they even bothered to show up.

> In recent times, however, things are a bit different.  Albion
> seems to be the top of the heap now, at least from what I've seen
> on the server I occasionally play on and can gather from reading
> various sites.  This is the realm of sickening do-gooders and high
> ideals.  Not as bad as those elves, mind you....

> You can blame this on many things, probably.  Nerfs, short
> attentions spans, exodus of people going back to their previous
> characters on another game, etc.  From personal experience, I
> think one of the biggest problems is selfishness.  Evil is just
> sometimes too selfish to really work together.

Organization really is the key, and DAoC's organization on a realm
level is just starting to come together.  A few months ago, a single
organized guild (30-90 players) could dominate the RvR balance of a
server, now we're seeing larger scales (3-6 guild alliances).  When
organized force meets rabble, the results are never pretty.  Albion
does have a general numbers advantage (the split is roughly 30-30-40
in their favor), but it's actually Hibernia (the smallest by a
couple of percentage points) that is controlling the most relics.

--Dave