[MUD-Dev] Emminent Wisdom

Mike Povoski ixion at guardianwall.com
Sun Mar 24 16:49:26 CET 2002

As written in Trials, Triumphs & Trivialities #65: The Wilderness of
Your Intuition by Shannon Appelcline:

> My best suggestion is to learn the lessons that we've discovered to
> date.

>     - Build a Team. Don't try and go it alone. Instead form a group

>     - Include a Coder. We give up. You're not going to just build a

>     - Form the Team into a Community. Once you have a team you need

>     - Be Aware of Time. Making a game will take a while, especially

I learned these things several years ago from browsing mud usenet
groups, and reading the responses to newbies posting about what it
takes to make a great mud.  I see this advice come up again from
time to time.

> These were external developers who were going to be using the
> tools Skotos had built to create their own game worlds. It was a
> great idea, and Skotos did have the tools to pull this off. Castle
> Marrach, after all, had been developed by a handful of
> non-engineers.

Well, a "handful" would constitute a team in this case, wouldn't it?
and Skotos did have someone building "the tools to pull this off",
right?  It is no wonder then that Castle Marrach launched
successfully.  I would guess that the development of Castle Marrach
followed the four bullet points above quite well.

I'm curious as to what made Skotos think Joe Admin could build a
game _without_ a team, a coder, a community, and a time commitment.

On a related note, if I may be so bold as to offer some advice of my
own to anyone running a business: if you want your employees (or
consultants, or "external developers", or whatever you want to call
them) to be productive, pay them.

-mike
http://www.polishcat.com/murpg
ixion at guardianwall.com