[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow revisted

fred at clift.org fred at clift.org
Thu Mar 21 12:00:19 CET 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>

> The problem is fundamentally that Mythic have allegedly told
> auction sites that they *do* own the game data, ... That's just a
> big lie,

> So it seems clear that (if the allegations are true) Mythic is in
> the wrong on this

You seem to be making the assumption, or rather declaring a
statement that, blacksnow _does_ own the data.  Among other things,
this is the point of the lawsuit and that hasn't been decided (in
court - it clearly has been decided in your mind...)

Let me draw an anaolgy.  Say I am and entrprising 8 yr old and I
decide to charge neighborhood kids to allow them to come to my house
and play with my legos.  Say I charge them $10/month for the right
to play with my legos.  Are you saying that the neighborhood kids
own the things they build with my legos at my house?  Do they own
the design?  perhaps, do they own the legos?  Of course not.

_IF_ they own the design they created with my legos, then as was
suggested in another email, a printout or a binary object dump, on
cd, or in a zip file or a paper-printout of the design of the
character would be all they had a right to.  Stretching the analogy,
I'd say that they could even sell the design to others, but I dont
have to give random people you sold the designs to pre-built lego
models with that design...

What if this were a free game - no money changed hands - would that
change things?

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fred at clift.org -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.