[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

shren shren at io.com
Thu Mar 21 06:02:45 CET 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, John Buehler wrote:
> Daniel Harman writes:
>> From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

>>> And then there's the information that you surely can't
>>> commuicate to the client, such as the current position of
>>> in-game mobiles that you want to make 'solid'.

>> I think most current games that have this type of collision
>> detection, do it client side. Its an expensive operation, and in
>> a lot of situations its not crucial that its 100% accurate. Even
>> if you did want to do it server side, this is exactly the kind of
>> thing you'd run in parallel on the client too.  After all, you
>> don't want the client to think you can run through a wall/person
>> and then be rubber banded back 250ms later.

> You're assuming that the client is letting the player drive the
> character around in real time.  As I suggested in an earlier post,
> if the client only accepts statements about where the character
> should be at some time in the future, then the server will send
> updates to the client to tell it where the characters is over
> time.  The result is pathing only on the server.  Yes, network
> latency will cause there to be a reaction time consideration (I
> say 'go' now, and the character starts moving one network
> roundtrip time later).  If a game doesn't rely on high speed
> reaction times to provide its entertainment, that won't be a
> problem.

I agree with all of the above.  If you don't need the speed, it is
best to let the server handle it.  A couple footnotes, though.

Various studies indicate that computer response times of 150 ms or
less are not percieved as delays.  I wish I could find a source for
this.

Also, I remember Raph mentioning that UO was never intended to be a
twitch game where reflexes were critical.  So never forget that what
you write your game to do and what the players try to do with it may
well be entirely different things.

 xxx