[MUD-Dev] Time Theory

Eli Stevens listsub at wickedgrey.com
Tue Mar 19 00:53:04 CET 2002

From: "Marc Bowden" <ryumo at merit.edu>

> Caution is called for here so that the meanings of certain aspects
> of the game world you've decided on do not become a barrier to
> entry. Hunger and thirst in DIKUs - especially the early ones -
> leaps to mind. It's no fun to play if you sign on during the
> game's "night" and starve to death before the bakery opens. ;)

Also, if you wish consistency, you will have to make certain actions
take a very long time to complete.  Including starvation - I would
imagine that a player could be logged in for several days straight
before being any real danger from hunger.  Same for travel, item
creation, natural healing, aging, fatigue, getting dressed, etc.
Not everything needs to be fully simulated time-wise, but should be
re-examined if you change something as basic as the clock.  :)

Just my two cents,
Eli