[MUD-Dev] MUD-Dev GDC dinner and Pseudo-META BBQ

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Mar 16 12:38:40 CET 2002

The time for the third annual MUD-Dev GDC dinner is fast approaching.
As always, the details have been discussed and arranged on the
meta at kanga.nu list:

Additionally, Jon Leonard has very graciously volunteered to host a BBQ
this year on the Sunday after the dinner.  Along these lines, the
following directions and notes were posted to Meta:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/Meta-L/2002Q1/msg00064.php

Please email confirm messages to Jon and myself off-list if you expect
to be attending.

--<cut>--
MUD-Dev Dinner:

  Friday, 22 March 2002 - 18:30hrs

  We'll meet in front of the conference center by the fountains at
  18:30hrs (NOTE: previous messages said 19:00hrs), hang around for a
  bit for stragglers to come in and then walk up to Teske's for dinner
  (about a 5 block walk -- just enough to pique the appetite).

    Teske's Germania
    255 N. First Street & Devine
    San Jose, Ca. 95113
    (408) 292-0291
    WWW: http://www.teskes-germania.com/main.htm
    Menu: http://www.teskes-germania.com/teskes_menu.htm

  Picture of outside of Teske's:
    http://www.conjose.org/Sanjose/Photopages/rest_germania.htm

  Reviews:
    http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/01.03.02/dining-0201.html
    http://www.findmyroom.com/detail/San_Jose/CA/USA/144123/
    http://www.dine.com/cgi-bin/dine/search/info.cgi?userid=&trackid=&pid=&RID=9041

  Notes:

    I've reserved space for 30.  That may not be enough.  If you expect
    to attend please drop me an email off-list so I can have a better
    count and the restaurant can be better braced and ready-to-run.

Pseudo-MERA BBQ:

  Sunday, 24 March 2002 - 13:00hrs

  Jon Leonard <jleonard at slimy.com> has very kindly volunteered his house
  for a BBQ, chow-down, etc.  Some of you (Randy, BrianG, etc) already
  know this as the location of the periodic game nights.

    1264 Albion Lane
    Sunnyvale
    CA 94087

  MapQuest:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=++++1264+Albion+Lane&city=Sunnyvale&state=ca&zipcode=94087&homesubmit.x=28&homesubmit.y=5

  Directions:
    http://slimy.com/~jleonard/directions.html

    From the north, on 280:
      Take a logical left turn onto 85 (2nd exit, towards Mountain View)
      goto From the south, on 85

    From the south, on 280:
      Take a right turn onto 85 (towards Mountain View)
      goto From the south, on 85

    From the south, on 85:
      Take the first exit after 280, onto Fremont.
      Turn left under the freeway
      goto common_directions

    From the north, on 101:
      Take 85 south
      Turn right on Fremont, which is the 1st exit after El Camino Real
      goto common_directions

    From the south, on 101:
      Turn logical left onto 237, towards Mountain View
      Turn logical left onto 85
      Turn right on Fremont, which is the 1st exit after El Camino Real
      goto common_directions

    common_directions:
      Take the 1st left, onto Belleville
      Take the 1st left, onto Albion
      After it bends, we're on the right.

  Jon Leonard's comments on food:

    Some plan for arranging food would be good.  I'm a non-drinker, so
    someone else should probably arrange for any beer/wine.  What would
    everyone like in terms of food?  It's probably easiest if I get most
    of the food the day before, but that still leaves open the question
    of the balance of meats, etc.

    There will be a collection/pot to help cover the costs of food,
    charcoal etc.

  Notes:

    I'm sure Jon would like an estimate on numbers as well as food
    preferences/comments.

    Some people have planes to catch on Sunday afternoon, or don't
    otherwise have cars/transport-capability.  I've already
    provisionally agreed to pick up one person from downtown San Jose
    (they may make other arrangements) and take them to the BBQ and then
    take them to the airport at ~16:00hrs.  My car can comfortably seat
    5 including the driver if anyone else would like to subscribe to
    White Knuckle Taxi Services.
--<cut>--

I hope to see you there. Enjoy.

--