[MUD-Dev] No bots allowed

Colin Coghill C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Mar 14 12:06:57 CET 2002

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 01:56, shren wrote:

> From this we conclude that while the average orc is equal to the
> average human, the above average human is equal to about 20 orcs.

>   h = o
>   aah = 20 * o

>   aah = 20 * h

Something I've been pondering that I think is fairly relevant here
is, in a skill based system, the idea that while you might have a
skill for "hitting things with sword", you would also have a skill
for "fighting orcs" and a seperate skill for "fighting humans".

This leads to being better at fighting some things and worse at others.

Fleshed out, in a combat you might have the following skills come
into play:

  Basic Fighting
  Sword Fighting
  Longsword
  Fighting Humanoids
  Fighting Orcs
  Fighting Dark Orcs

Obviously you want some formula for combining these into one
roll. Skill ranking could be done by increasing the skills you
use. So if you fight lots of dark orcs, you'll get good at all the
above, but when you then walk into a fight with a human, you only
have the first four skills to help you. This allows different
species or tribes to appear to have different fighting styles, which
I think is reasonable. And if you fight a lot of orcs, you'll gain
some skill in humanoids, helping you against a human, but not
particularly against a large worm.

So Aragorn might be very good at fighting orcs, but dreadful at
fighting dragons. The average elf soldier might be very good at
fighting humans, but not so good at orcs, etc.

An "above average" fighter could well be someone who is good at a
wide range of opponents. Or perhaps just insanely good at fighting
one particular species/tribe.

You would also probably want to incorporate this into the defense
rules too.

And I think it would ease this case a little, although of course you
still have to find a solution for PC vs NPC of the same race.

- Colin
--
Colin Coghill
Senior Tutor