[MUD-Dev] DCMA -- another weapon in the fight against Emulators

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Tue Mar 12 12:43:04 CET 2002

From: "Travis Nixon" <tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com>
> From: "Jon Lambert" <tychomud at ix.netcom.com>

>> It's sort of odd to make an issue over the DMCA request from
>> Blizzard when the Bnetd Project apparently didn't even take
>> advantage of their own protections under the act.  I don't see
>> where they (Bnet) responded to the Blizzard request at all.

> Of course they didn't respond.

> The way things stood, Blizzard was only THREATENING legal action.

"Only threatening works" in a lot of the cases.  See the EFF section
on SLAPP suits for some outrageous things that companies try to pull
off.

The EFF has today announced that they will take on the case.  The
article is posted at slashdot.org.  Later today I will have the link
on my page http:www.maddog.com.  (Didn't maddog die not too long
ago? yeah but this stuff is too good to leave alone).

frank