[MUD-Dev] DCMA -- another weapon in the fight against Emulators

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Thu Mar 7 09:48:55 CET 2002

From: "Jon Lambert" <tychomud at ix.netcom.com>

> It's sort of odd to make an issue over the DMCA request from
> Blizzard when the Bnetd Project apparently didn't even take
> advantage of their own protections under the act.  I don't see
> where they (Bnet) responded to the Blizzard request at all.

Of course they didn't respond.

The way things stood, Blizzard was only THREATENING legal action.

If I understand the way the response works correctly, doing so would
only have forced Blizzard's hand, by forcing them to either bring
suit in 14 days or to drop the matter entirely.

Taking advantage of their "protections" would have been a gamble,
and not one I'm sure I would have been willing to take.