[MUD-Dev] MUD Protocols?

Chris Gray cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
Sat Mar 2 08:55:06 CET 2002

From: Jon Leonard <jleonard at slimy.com>

> Are there any clients that aren't properly handled with those
> cases?  If not, I'd agree with Lars Duening above, that a MUD
> should indeed support telnet properly, or at least something very
> close.

I think you are basically right. Its been a few years since I was
messing with my stuff, but the issues I recall were:

  - echoing. This becomes important if you want to turn off echoing
  of a password. Some clients (I thought the MS telnet was one) will
  respond to a request to not echo (by agreeing to the server's
  offer to echo), but will continue echoing anyway.

  - line terminations. Some clients insist on putting out their own
  extra termination characters. This can result in multi-spacing of
  all output if you don't know they are doing it. This was sometimes
  mixed in with control of echoing.

  - prompts. Some clients try to do special things with
  prompts. This always messed up with my server's code to do prompts
  properly. But, my stuff worked fine with a proper Unix-based
  telnet client, so I wasn't more than a bit annoyed by it. :-)

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/