[MUD-Dev] It's About Time Dep... Food

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Fri Jun 28 09:08:59 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 22:26, eric wrote:

> I'm not at all trying to center a game around eating. The only
> real drive in this manner is that in a game where you have trades,
> an obvious one would be a farmer. And giving the two options of
> either having food or not having food, only one of those would
> make a farmer useful. My personal belief is that food/food
> production is the most basic component of an economic system.  So
> assuming I can create some identifiable purpose to eat food, and
> then some enjoyable experience to grow and sell food, I will get
> the foundation of a good economic system.

Here's what I've been thinking regarding food and eating for my own
still-only-in-my-head game: Food is a requirement, the process of
eating itself is not.  Assume the characters eat while the player is
offline, have the game auto-feed them whenever they stop to rest,
whatever the system, the players aren't burdened with "eat bread ;
eat bread ; drink water ; drink water" unless they want to be.

So the character has to procure a regular supply of food from
*somewhere*, which will require either having their own garden or
buying the food from someone else.  Thus you can build up your food
subsystem however you want.

-ED

Edward Glowacki			glowack2 at msu.edu
Michigan State University
"...a partial solution to the right problem is better than a complete
solution to the wrong one." (http://uiweb.com/issues/issue14.htm)