[MUD-Dev] It's About Time Dep... Food

eric ericleaf at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 27 19:26:46 CEST 2002

From: "Sasha Hart" <Sasha.Hart at directory.reed.edu>
> [Eric Leaf]

>> So, other than forcing the player under threat of death by
>> starvation, how do you get food and other necessities of life
>> into a game and reward the player without boredom to take part in
>> that action?

> That said, some people have bothered to put elaborate messages on
> food when it is eaten. You might also look to roleplayers - when
> left to their own devices, I have often noticed MUSH players
> sitting around in "bars" and "drinking"; the same pattern of
> social activity might work with eating as well. Still, it's the
> kind of thing that happens spontaneously when people are bored; a
> game which centered around it in any way would go out the window
> as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not at all trying to center a game around eating. The only real
drive in this manner is that in a game where you have trades, an
obvious one would be a farmer. And giving the two options of either
having food or not having food, only one of those would make a
farmer useful. My personal belief is that food/food production is
the most basic component of an economic system.  So assuming I can
create some identifiable purpose to eat food, and then some
enjoyable experience to grow and sell food, I will get the
foundation of a good economic system.