[MUD-Dev] Text Muds vs Graphical Muds

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jun 21 07:11:13 CEST 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Anderson, David wrote:

> The question I would have, is why do so many seem to hit a limit?
> I've found quite a few "good" text muds when they started, they
> grew fairly steadily up to an average of 75 people online on one
> mud, around 200 people online on another, around 150 online on
> another.. and they all seem to have stopped growing.  Other
> smaller muds grow, but somewhere between 100 and 200 people
> generally, text muds seem to stop growing.  I'd really like to
> understand why this is, so perhaps I can prevent it on my own.

I'm confident enough in this to say it's not really a guess: It's
the admins. It's 100% the admins. They start coasting along, start
forgetting what the newbie experience is like, start losing
motivation, don't inject excitement into the game, etc. Every year a
MUD is in existence, there's a whole 365 birthdays of new potential
MUDers. You can never go through the whole market.

--matt