[MUD-Dev] The Future of MMOGs... what's next? (fwd)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Jun 20 21:42:22 CEST 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]

>> There's definitely something to it, and it's a shame more small
>> developers can't stop themselves from drooling over the latest
>> pretty graphics.

> I wonder how far one could get with a mud which had a high quality
> muds depth, but also 2/2.5D gfx. You could certainly make inroads
> with player created content in that vetting simple 2d gfx (without
> animation at least initially) wouldn't be very resource intensive,
> and I bet people would be being willing to pay for it. Instead of
> buying a prefab house, you could let people draw their own
> furniture and walls etc. The more I think on it, the more I think
> 2.5D would be a mistake as that requires considerably more drawing
> talent (perspective ;) ).

That'd be a neat idea, though the quality would generally be pretty
low. You'd certainly be able to make your house unique.

> If so few people really do read room descriptions, one has to
> wonder whats so great about them.

Well, personally, I don't see much that's great about room
descriptions, and most of the players don't read them, but I think
they do like there to be one there if they choose to read it.

> Graphics aren't intrinsically bad, I think its the tendancy to
> over-reach.

I've got no problem with graphics. I play graphical games quite
frequently (though not graphical MUDs, other than to test them out a
bit). I just personally find text to be more immersive from a
player's perspective, and like the freedom it allows from a
developer's perspective.

--matt