[MUD-Dev] Threading idea

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Thu Jun 20 20:20:56 CEST 2002

Smith, David (Lynchburg) wrote:
> From: Zach Collins

>> I'm sure the concept of microthreads translates to / is supported
>> by other languages as well.

> What the article seemed to boil the concept down to was a
> "scheduler" with which a set of tasks could be queued, and which
> would execute the tasks on command.

> In a more strongly OO language, I'd say that this type of role could
> be filled by a "monitor object" which is a thread-safe passive
> object, but a much better description can be found at:

>   http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/monitor.pdf

I'd posted a bunch of other similar things recently:

   http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2002Q2/msg00846.php

Another thing that is very worth checking out and reading up on is
the concurrency model used in the E programming language:

   http://www.erights.org/
   http://www.erights.org/elib/concurrency/index.html

There's a big wide world out there that does concurrency without
threads, often with substantial benefits and rewards.  I can't
suggest enough that people learn about it and make use of what they
learn.

Cheers,

  - Bruce