[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what\'s next?

burra at alum.rpi.edu burra at alum.rpi.edu
Thu Jun 20 12:20:46 CEST 2002

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2002Q2/msg01397.php

Sorry to do this through the web archive, but my finger was too
quick on the delete button and I wanted to properly quote and
attribute.

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:46:10 -0700 (PDT)
Vincent Archer <archer at frmug.org> wrote:

>> NWN, as a strongly-network enabled game, can be used to attempt
>> to make a MMORPG/MUD like setting.  You can also do lots of other
>> things with it: ... [list of various things]

> and all of these things... can also be done with Dungeon
> Siege. Except the bit about 3rd edition AD&D.

> That's the main problem of NWN. The specific niche that could
> guarantee his uniqueness (and specific attraction) is gone. Apart
> from the ruleset, nothing that NWN offers is really different from
> what DS offers.

> And Dungeon Siege was there first.

Was it? So far, unless I'm behind the times, the DS editor is out
but the game cannot yet play anything that was edited. Which was
first to allow you to make your own worlds that someone can actually
play?

Adam Burr
Madman Across the Water - POL dev
http://pol.tumbolia.org