[MUD-Dev] It's About Time Department (Mule Characters)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu Jun 20 10:36:25 CEST 2002

from shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

>> It seems to me like a good idea ruined by a nonsensical twist to
>> the implementation.

> That's Dungeon Siege.  You've summed up the whole game in one
> sentence.  It's the first game I've played that has made the user
> interface so friendly that it practically beats the game for you.
> I put the CD back in it's case when I fell asleep playing it, and
> haven't gotten it back out since.

Glad I'm not the only one who found that, as the game received so
many accolades I was wondering what was wrong with me. As far as I
can tell, its progressquest (www.progressquest.com) with a nicer 3d
engine.

I think one can see the lead designers background in RTS games
(Total Annihilation etc.) shine through as it all seems like one big
tank rush.

If the character customisation/magic/control had been richer I think
it could have been a very good game, although it has half convinced
me that controlling multiple PCs in realtime dilutes a lot of what I
like about RPGs. It was just too much effort to play the game
tactically as it meant constantly pausing it, and even then I seldom
felt in control. The other thing I disliked was the balance, which
forced me to constantly exploit the aggro range of the enemy mobs so
that I could pick them off one at a time, if I let too many attack
at once I'd die. Balancing a game on that is about as meritous as
doing it based on the expectation of constantly quicksaving.

Dan