[MUD-Dev] Re: The Future of MMOGs... what's next? (fwd)

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 19 16:57:27 CEST 2002

Tuesday, June 18, 2002, 4:13:18 AM, Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to shren:

>> Last I heard, the concept of a central vault is gone.  Each
>> server can have it's own vault which stores characters.

> If that is so, then the central paradigm of NWN is dead. NWN's
> main attraction was that Vault characters (i.e. those located on
> the central vault) would be the mainsteam way of wandering between
> the various "shared universe" servers that were popping here and
> there.

> Without the Vault, most of these will close themselves; you will
> need a character on each, as no "serious" server will ever accept
> an outside character.

I'm not so sure about that.  My impression of NWN from what I've
read about it is that the "host your own server" setup isn't
intended so much to be "host an MMORPG" as it is to be "GM a module
for some folks".  Among D&D gamers, there's a long tradition of
characters from one game being moved to another -- the GM for the
game simply looks over the character and decides whether or not to
allow it.

I'll note as well that many (most?) paper D&D gamers don't worry
about whether a character is "honest" or not -- indeed, in many
campaigns, it's standard practice to let new players create
characters at a level as high as or close to the existing characters
in the campaign, to get around problems of having low-level
characters adventuring with high-level ones.

The big worry when allowing a character in is making sure that the
character doesn't have too much in the way of magical and other
enhancements compared to the characters who are already in the game.
Problems there can often be fixed by simple editing of the
character's equipment list.

--
Travis Casey
efindel at earthlink.net