[MUD-Dev] Striving for originality

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Jun 19 11:06:51 CEST 2002

From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]
> On 17 Jun 2002, Edward Glowacki wrote:
>> On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 12:05,
> Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

>>   1. Don't let the mages gain that much power.
>>   2. Make some of the big mobs more resistant to magic
>>   3. Fireshield.
>>   4. Chance of catastrophic failure.
>>   5. Magic capacity of the localized area.
>>   6. Vulnerability while casting.

> All of these things sound like overkill.  *All* I saw back when I
> logged on to UO was troupes of mages wandering around killing big
> mobs!  That's what people did.  The average skeleton had a longer
> lifespan than the average demon lord because the skeleton wasn't
> on anybody's hit list.  If you give the mage the "kill something
> once a week" spell, let it kill something once a week.  Giving
> people that kind of power is going to require a little bit of
> thought, but that "little bit" doesn't mean "neuter it by the
> roots".

I agree with you Shren. I think perhaps the best way is to balance
it through the utility of making the kill. Whats the point in being
a caster if all you get is shoehorned into the 'must not break melee
combat' box and left with no compelling USP? I was just interested
in what the UO2 team had planned, if anything.

Dan