[MUD-Dev] Relaunching a MUD?

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Tue Jun 18 14:55:40 CEST 2002

From: Matt Mihaly

>>  What I'm wondering is, once the re-engineering is done, >> does
>>  anyone out there have suggestions for how to best recruit a >>
>>  new playerbase?

[ good list deleted ]

>   6. Advertise. If your MUD matters to you, drop a couple hundred
>   on some ads.

7. Ensure something unique happens to your player when he logs in
that he is unlikely to see elsewhere.  Hopefully, this is something
active, as opposed to something passive that the player can bypass.
Raph is still fond of telling how his addiction to CarnageMUD
started when he 'prayed' at a shrine and a field mouse crawled out
of his backpack and turned into a god (me, actually =).  While this
was an accidental occurrance (I used to get quite wacky with my
bamfin messages), think about how you can ensure that new players
are guarunteed to encounter interesting world interactions.

--d