[MUD-Dev] Blacksnow vs. Mythic News

Mark Eaton marke at mac.com
Mon Jun 17 12:42:33 CEST 2002

On Saturday, June 15, 2002, at 02:27  AM, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Rudy Fink wrote:

>> I disagree.  I feel that the Blizzard issue is less clear cut and
>> involves some things I feel have been "traditional rights," like
>> reverse engineering and my right to choose how I use things I
>> buy.

> But that's the real issue isn't it? People think they're buying
> something (software) when they are only buying a license to use
> it. I don't feel that the customer should get to unilaterally
> redefine what is being sold.

I predict that if the Arbitration clauses of these software EULAs
stands up in court that we will begin seeing other goods and
services sold with "End User License Agreements".

Imagine if Chevy had had such a license "agreement" affixed to the
steering wheel of every Corvair they sold, that the buyer was only
able to read after purchasing the car, and that the driver had to
"accept" each time he started the car.

"No sue" clauses are unconstitutional in my humble, layman's
opinion. Frivolous lawsuits are a real problem, but valid lawsuits
form an important check and balance in a free market.

I recognize that my argument is basically the slippery slope
argument, but in this case I think its reasonable. Companies really
do want to reduce or eliminate litigation expenses and this seems
like a loophole in the making to me.