[MUD-Dev] Skotos & WAP Release "Grendel's Revenge" for Public Beta

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Sat Jun 15 00:59:02 CEST 2002

From: "Bruce Mitchener" <bruce at cubik.org>
> Christopher Allen wrote:

> This is the client work that I'd made some references to here in
> the last few weeks. There are a lot of interesting lessons to be
> learned from the client for Grendel's Revenge.  But they largely
> deal with the difficulty of developing JavaScript and DHTML things
> that work even on IE 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0.  While I think it came out
> well, it wasn't a piece of cake and I had to learn a lot about
> oddities (like no JS timers with a resolution of under 55
> milliseconds on Win95, 98 or ME).

Why didn't you use server-side scripting for the client? Or if you
wanted more interaction with the end user you could have made an
ActiveX controller. That way you solve all the problems related to
JavaScript, which is in my opinion the worst language you could ever
use to write anything.  Did you use JS because your design imposed
certain constraints?

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli