[MUD-Dev] Underlight (fwd)

Brian Lindahl lindahlb at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 14 23:45:51 CEST 2002

From: Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>

> Look at the second one. claims, it actually is a MMORPG insofar as
> roleplaying is a big part of it, unlike most of the graphical MUDs
> out there.

Looks like there's a few out there that do like to break the mold,
but I see a few problems with it to begin with. It certainly appears
to be two-dimensional, where the 'dreamers' are the good guys and
the 'mares' are the bad guys. Although, at least they're making an
attempt to make the theme the more important aspect. Another problem
was the focus the review had on combat made it seem as if the game
was mostly centered around combat and not seem to have much
else. Advancement via combat has always led to a degredation in
roleplaying. Another problem I see is taken from this quote from the
review:

  "Every 10 orbits, your advancement is stopped. The only way to
  advance further is to seek a teacher, and do what it takes to
  convince them to "Sphere" you to the next orbit. Similarly, every
  so often your character will be presented with the opportunity to
  learn a new art. To learn an art, you must seek a teacher, and do
  what it takes to earn it."

This system right here seems highly abusable and corruptable, not to
mention a strong lead into cliques where a circle of high level
players help each other become stronger and stronger while the new
character have trouble getting places because the higher level ones
are busy helping their friends. But who knows, it'll be interesting
to see how it turns out.

It takes a bit more than just a storyline to make good roleplaying,

-Brian Lindahl, coder of 'The Cathyle Project'