[MUD-Dev] The Future of MMOGs... what's next?

Koster Koster
Fri Jun 14 08:18:34 CEST 2002

From: Amanda Walker

> Well ... *cough* ... not all of the next batch of games were
> discussed publicly at the GDC ;-).

> User content does remain a very large design and implementation
> challenge, though, even if some of us think it's more feasible
> than others.

I definitely think it's feasible. And of course, there's levels and
levels of user content.

I know of several attempts going. One I am paying a lot of attention
to is the one at Linden Labs.

  http://www.lindenlabs.com

...which appears to be essentially an attempt to create a graphical
MOO with embedded building tools a la AlphaWorld. I don't know,
however, whether they have conquered the key obstacle that has
prevented past attempts at this (AlphaWorld, OnLive, CyberTown, etc
etc) from "clicking" with a large audience: having a "hook" that
draws in a substantial audience.

I suspect (sadly) that if you want to make a MMMOO (to coin a
terrible terrible acronym) you have to persuade the gaming market to
buy it and use it. A long time ago I made the statement on this list
(to Dr. Cat, I believe) that virtual worlds were going to have to
include games for the foreseeable future, for precisely that reason.

-Raph