[MUD-Dev] Mudding and impact on academic grades

Colin Coghill C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jun 13 14:39:54 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 11:48, Philip Mak wrote:

> Anyway, I feel kind of bad, fearing that my MUSH may contribute to
> wrecking someone's academic status.

> Has anyone else thought about this? Any ideas on how to make a
> MUSH coexist more peacefully with its players' academic standing?

As an ex-student who had his grades "ruined" by playing on a MUD too
much, I have to say:

It is entirely up to the player how they wish to spend their
time. If it's not playing on a MUD, it could be out drinking, or
sunbathing, or driving, or anything really.

The /one/ thing I feel you could do which would possibly help a lot
is allow the players to lock themselves out of the game for a time.

Perhaps let them lock their account for a week at a time. That'll
give those who really do want to study but have poor self-control
something to work with.

I think one of the major lessons in life, one that university brings
out, is how to develop some self-discipline. Let your players
develop their own skills, but maybe give them some tools and advice
to assist them. I think it'd be doing them a long term disservice to
perhaps close down for exam period or similar because then they'd
never learn self control.

- Colin