[MUD-Dev] Is difficult communication the barrier to community in MMORPGs? (fwd)

David Clifton demosthenes810 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 12 23:50:26 CEST 2002

Wed, 12 Jun 2002 John Buehler wrote:

> To me, it's a no-brainer.  Voice.  We went through a discussion of
> that recently.  In my opinion, the use of voice communication
> technologies as a standard of gameply will dramatically change the
> way these games are viewed.

While I agree that certainly voice communication, once entirely feasible by
bandwidth and the like (perhaps p2p would be required to really support it
on top of the kind of bandwidth some games use...of course then there are
security concerns...), would be a grand step, I hesitate to say that it will
be-all and end-all.

Ever try to really understand a teleconference with two people
talking? Three? Four? All at once? Some screaming in excitement
while others cry in frustration? The size of some groups moving in
muds?

> That, or stick the players into a room together so that they can
> talk, throw paper wads at each other, and eat cold pizza and warm
> soda together.

That's been my preferred method of late :)

David Clifton