[MUD-Dev] Mudding and impact on academic grades

Philip Mak pmak at animeglobe.com
Wed Jun 12 19:48:06 CEST 2002

I run a social/RP MUSH. It's final exam time for many high-school
students and some university students now, and I see people talking
about how they have all this academic work to do... while hanging
out on the MUSH and probably spending a few hours per day
socializing.

I also see people who are worried about grades because they need to
maintain a 3.x GPA or else they'll lose their scholarship. No
scholarship = no college. (I myself probably mudded more than I
should have during my undergraduate and masters degree days,
although I still managed to pull through in the end.)

Anyway, I feel kind of bad, fearing that my MUSH may contribute to
wrecking someone's academic status.

Has anyone else thought about this? Any ideas on how to make a MUSH
coexist more peacefully with its players' academic standing?