[MUD-Dev] Striving for originality

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jun 12 18:03:22 CEST 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Kwon Ekstrom wrote:
> From: "Edward Glowacki" <glowack2 at msu.edu>

>> I have to agree with Matt on this.  There's nothing that says a
>> "mage" has to be "old, wizened, and fragile".  Why couldn't a
>> mage

> I didn't say fragile, but if that's what you think I meant than go
> for it.  (is vaguely reminded of a recent post where someone
> mentioned how you could describe a full system and a 1 liner gets
> all the attention)

> If you wanna see my response to this... see my reply to matt.

> The simple fact of the matter is I think a "mage" should describe
> someone who spends most of his time learning magic and magic is
> his main ability.  If magic is secondary then you're describing
> something else entirely.  My system does support using magic as
> secondary... but if you're primary focus is magic then I don't
> think you should be standing where you can get hit.

Sure, I agree that mage describes someone who spends most of his
time learning magic, and magic is his main ability. My mage in my
(theoretical) game uses his magic to conjure up some magical plate
armour and summon up the fantasy equivalent of a lightsabre, and
then fights with that.

I recall Gandalf going toe-to-toe with a Balrog.

--matt