[MUD-Dev] Breaking down the walls

shren shren at io.com
Wed Jun 12 06:02:11 CEST 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Matt Chatterley wrote:

> However, I find myself at a loss as to where to start, and ask --
> have any of you tried this, and do you have any feedback about
> roomless systems? I know they've been discussed on the list
> before, but was hoping some new insights might have popped up. :)

Feel free to mock me if this is not new.

You could always store the player's location in a two-dimensional
space, and make each room a polygon, or perhaps for simplicity a
circle, then stack the descriptions of all the circles a player is
inside of.

A player on the continent of foo, by a waterfall, in a glade, in the
great northern forest, would be inside 4 circles:

  Continent of Foo
  Great Northern Forest
  In a Glade
  By a Waterfall

Ordered by the size of the circle.  If he typed 'go north', he'd
probably leave the waterfall and just be in a glade:

  Continent of Foo
  Great Northern Forest
  In a Glade

You could even have 2 circles for each "area", a sight radius and an
"inside" radius.  So you could see an area before you enter it:

You are sailing on the Great Ocean.  You can see the Continent of
Foo far to the Northwest.

  > sail northwest
  (time passes)

You are sailing on the Great Ocean.  You can see the Continent of
Foo far to the Northwest.  You can see the port city of Bar to the
Northwest.

I always wanted to implement this to toy around with it - but, as
nice as it might be for outdoor areas where you can roam freely, I
could never come up with an even remotely clean way to have it
handle indoor areas.