[MUD-Dev] Ticks?

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Tue Jun 11 19:40:56 CEST 2002

From: "shren" <shren at io.com>
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Kwon Ekstrom wrote:
>> From: "Anderson, David" <david.anderson at tfp.com>

>>> What have other people done for regenning?  I'm just doing my
>>> best to have it make a bit more sense.

>> I'd also recommend not allowing regeneration for mobs/players
>> that are currently fighting.

> Of course, if you're compulsively going for speed, and are doing

My suggestion to not regen during combat is for a variety of
reasons, personally I don't think players should regenerate while
fighting (unless they've got an affect which gives them the ability
or their con is high enough for a regeneration affect).

> things in C or C++, you can always stick everything that
> regenerates on a tick in the same memory block, in two parts - the
> rate and the current level.  Then the tick thread can live in that
> memory block and not even look at the whole player.

This wouldn't work for me even if I was working in c/c++, I don't
have "levels" exactly.  You could do an attribute check tho, since
the majority of my regeneration factors are derived from your
attributes and/or affects.  There's alot of factors (including where
you are) that go into regeneration on my system.  I do math in
increments... your main value based on things like your attributes
which rarely change updates every so many seconds.  Then your actual
regeneration rate is modified by things like spell affects and what
room you're in (if you're renting a room at an inn you get a rate
bonus) those modify a "modifier" affect and although they rarely
change I keep those separate from the other modifiers.

I've got people regening a very small amount of hp every 15-30
seconds (I like to randomize things a bit).

To get into more detail on how things work in Aaern (my mud in
development) I'd have to go into extreme detail on handler
optimizations.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom