[MUD-Dev] LithTech

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Tue Jun 11 10:25:20 CEST 2002

From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

> Is anyone familiar with LithTech's "Discovery System?"  It
> purports to be a sort of one-stop solution for the technical parts
> of graphical MUDs, though I'm a little dubious.

I'm familiar with LithTech 3.2 which is the basis on which Jupiter
and then Discovery have been developed. LithTech Discovery offers
the full graphical library of the older LithTech SDK
implementations, with the new additions that you can see in No One
Lives Forever 2 and Tron 2.0.  Discovery has also improved network
management in LithTech products. With the original LithTech SDK and
Jupiter you could only handle games like Id's Quake where you're
distributing objects over the network at a real fast rate and you're
having just one server and not many clients.  Discovery is using a
different approach as it is aiming for distributed servers and
support for thousands of clients.  So, to answer your question: yes,
Discovery could solve the technical graphical aspects of your MUD,
but keep in mind that it is a commercial package licensed at a quite
high fee.

I tried to grab more information about Discovery during this year's
E3 in Los Angeles but the guys at LithTech were not allowed to talk
about Discovery at that time. I hope to be able to hear some news
directly from them in the near future.

--
Valerio Santinelli
HateSeed.com Founder (http://www.hateseed.com)