[MUD-Dev] Bug tracking

Matt Chatterley matt at eldoops.co.uk
Fri Jun 7 00:17:53 CEST 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Sanvean wrote:

> Does anyone have a system for bug tracking that they use on their
> mud?

I have one, but only on paper. It's fairly standard (as far as I
imagine bug trackers to be -- I've never really worked with such a
system before, I must admit).

Various types of problem can be reported either within the game, by
email, or via a web form, and are then logged into a queue for
review by the game staff (certain members of staff receive certain
types of reports; some receive multiple types). Once fixed, the
problem is archived in a database (incase it recurs, or another one
is caused by the fix).

Problems break down into: Typo, Bug-Minor, Bug-Major, Suggestion.

Eg:

  Typo -> The grene grass flows infront of you ..

  Bug-Minor -> The price of a giant blue sword in Bob's Emporium is
  listed as 10 gold, but I was charged 20!

  Bug-Major -> I typed 'who' and received a load of wierd, scrambled
  ANSI output!

  Suggestion -> The help file on martial arts is very confusing!
  Perhaps you could add a section saying ..

Note that all submissions can be reclassified (and thus resubmitted
to the appropriate people) by the member of staff who picks them
up. Once a staffer 'accepts' a problem, it is logged as being on
their TODO list, and the tracking system will remind them about it
(and after a few days with no recorded fix, inform another superior
member of staff), until they close the report.

--Matt