[MUD-Dev] Striving for originality

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Jun 6 23:31:44 CEST 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 szii at sziisoft.com wrote:
> From: "Matt Chatterley" <matt at eldoops.co.uk>

>> I wonder what the key 'problems' with PvP really are?

>> To me, they seem to be:

>>   1) Newbies getting battered

>>   2) Being able to repeatedly pound or kill the same person, just
>>   because you (the player) don't like them (the player).

> In reply:

>   1) Yes it's a problem.

>   2) Not so much of a problem.  You call in your guild/friends to
>   get them off.

Oi. In my experience, #2 is a far larger problem. It's easy to
protect newbies, in regards to #1.

On the other hand, calling in your guild or friends doesn't even
address the problem that is #2. The problem is that you've been
victimized, and lost things through no fault of your own (assuming
you haven't done something that you know causes you to 'deserve'
it.) A third party killing the guy who killed you doesn't make up
for that.

Think of it this way: Do you think that the families of the
September 11th victims would stop feeling victimized if the
hijackers had somehow survived, and their friends shot the hijackers
later? They might feel a little better for a little bit, but revenge
does not compensate for a loss.

--matt