[MUD-Dev] Building community in social M**s

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Thu Jun 6 15:18:07 CEST 2002

>From Martin C. Martin

> There's been discussion on what keeps people interested in "gaming
> oriented" MUDs, but I'm wondering what keeps people coming back to
> social M**s?

  1. Other people.

  2. The creations other people have contributed (new things to
  see).

  3. The creations you have created (if you've contributed something
  neat, are you eager to leave it?)

Our tactic in making our game is simply to give players something to
talk about.  Hopefully, this will create the social bonds which
proves to be the true retaining feature of the game.

> Are people even in character most of the time?

Depends on the community atmosphere.

--d