[MUD-Dev] [DGN] MUD Books

Tand'a-ur tandaur at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 4 14:21:18 CEST 2002

James Edward Gray II wrote:

> I've been looking for some good MUD related books, but the
> pickings are slim.  Have any of you read "Secrets of the MUD
> Wizards: Playing and Programming MUDs, MOOs, MUCKs, and Other
> Internet Role-Playing Games" who would be willing to give a
> mini-review.  More generically, what can anyone tell me about
> about "Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer
> Role-Playing Games", "MultiPlayer Game Programming", or "AI Game
> Programming Wisdom".  Finally, I'm open to suggestions, so if you
> have a favorite book of at least loosely related MUD wisdom, do
> tell.

I got "Secrets of the MUD Wizards" a long time ago after i just
recently got into MUDs.  It is not all that helpful. It has a
section that is basically a newbie guide for playing DIKU style
MUDs.  It also has a section that is like an intro to LPC. In the
back there is a section in the back of MUD listings. This is very
old. The book came out 6 or so years ago I believe, though i could
be wrong.

Its kinda funny looking at the MUD listings though. Some of the MUDs
you will recognize. The first MUD i played is in there i think. So
is the second mud that i played and helped run for 4 years and is
still up but at another addy, though that mud hasn't had any updates
in about 5 years.

Anyhow, It is not worth getting unless it is for nostalgia, don't know
if it is worth even that.

-mike