[MUD-Dev] R&D

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Tue Jun 4 12:22:07 CEST 2002

>From Brian Bilek

> Why aren't more of the business executives in the industry more
> knowledgeable, passionate, or otherwise have a better
> understanding of games and gaming in general?  Is it that hard to
> find someone with a business background who likes games?

Computer gaming is a creative field, and it is also frequently an
R&D field (people doing stuff no one has done before).  I know of
several CEO/high managers who come to gaming thinking that it is
just like any other industry, including packaged foods.  But the
creative and unpredictable nature of the industry makes it
infuriating to standard business practices.

> Perhaps a related question: With how incestuous the games industry
> is, is it any wonder that the same mistakes are continually made
> with respect to some of the practices mentioned earlier in the
> thread?

The games industry has over the past few years been going through an
ugly transition from garage industry to millions-of-dollars-per-
game industry.  The amount of money it costs to make a cutting edge
game now means much higher dollar amounts, much larger teams, and
much less margin for error.  For developers who prefer more casual
environments, it is a very rude awakening.

--d